Monday 13 August 2012

LRF Gear Discussion Update...

Had a look at the stats recently over which posts are read and the LRF and HRF gear discussions seem to be by far the more popular posts. With that in mind I have decided to write a further post on LRF to update you with the latest gear available on the market.

So time to have a look at some of the updates to the LRF gear available on the market.

Lets have a look at some new rods in the form of the YAMAGA Blue current 74 and 80. This pair of rods have a super sensitive feel but both are stiffer in feel than my MC Zaltz ZAT, yes still using this beautiful rod. However the 74 is rated at 1-8g and the 80 at 1-11g. This draws me to these rods as during this season I have found I have used metals a lot more than I have done in the past. This has been down to the poor weather and tougher conditions we have endured this year. The Zaltz rated 0.5-5g has handled the metals within the rating well but the soft tip does make me nervous about going to much over on the weight of the metal lure. The Blue Current gives you that extra bit of weight option when choosing the lure weights. Peace of mind considering the number of LRF tip sections I have heard of snapping this year alone. The second rod is from the TICT range. TICT have produced a number of LRF bits in cluding rods and end tackle. The Inbite 710 TB is a lovely looking rod. With a casting range of 0.9-12 g it covers all the angles for the same reasons as the yamaga rods. From a wagle in the shop it also has the same responsive feel. I have not fished any of these rods yet but I do prefer a shorter rod for LRF. My initial thoughts and feelings go with the Yamaga Blue Current 74. It has the weight range I need with the lighter feel I prefer and is a shorter rod similar in length to my Zaltz. All three rods fall in the mid price bracket with the TICT taking the more expensive end over the Yamaga rods.

There has been a new entrant on the reel front. For a specific LRF reel I have seen a number of Daiwa Gekkabijin MX 2004 being used within the group I fish with. This is a pure finesse reel and quite affordable to boot. This is a shallow spool LRF reel which is silky smooth and able to really adapt to conditions when fishing light gear. The Gekkabijin ticks all the boxes for a specific light game reel at an affordable price. This still falls within the mid range price bracket.

Finally to the end gear. First off the people at TICT have produced a range of jigs and plastics for your LRF fishing needs. The jigs have been designed with roles in mind. The Dart Jighead M is designed to zip from side to side when twitched on the retrieve. The action has to be seen. This little jig really gives the lure a life and the quick darting action gets the fish interested. I have used these jigs and I find them simple to use with a great action for your effort. The Bull Head 'Strong Shaft' is a strange looking fella. The concave design gives a resistance to the retrieve. This serves to do a couple of things. Firstly the resistance means you can fish a lighter jig and still feel the pull of the lure. This also keeps more tension on the line during the retrieve. The shape of the jig also means you get a better pressure wave created by the jig and lure on the retrieve. This could mean that the fish home in on this action and find the lure. I have yet to try these jigs but have been asked about them a lot when fishing Tict gear so will have to give them a try.

Finally the lures have also kept on coming. TICT had a handful of new lures arrive including the Brilliant in 2.5 and 1.5" , Fisit 2.5" , Lizard Tail 2.4" and Venus 1.5". I have used the Brilliant and it has a great action on a dart jighead. With a good sized paddle on the back end and a ribbed body its a cracking little lure. I also like the look of the Lizard Tail which will likely be the next lure I try in this range. Also fishing well for larger LRF species and crossing over into a bit of smaller HRF work is the Lunker City Fin-S. These have been working well for me and I particularly like the Arkansas Shiner colour which has also done well as a colour fishing the larger Slug-go for HRF. Worth a look for a change of tactic and seeking out the larger LRF fish. Although they have been around for some time I have just starting using this lure as a mainstay of my LRF soft plastic arsenal.

To finish with I would like to introduce you to a few of the hard plastic lures / metals I am starting to use. This is a follow on from the metals I have already posted about and my interest in metal and hard plastic lure is increasing as a viable tactic for LRF. I have got three new lures types to experiment with. The Daiwa SC Shiner which is a great little suspending lure and very hot with Mackerel but also a tempting Bass treat. The next is the Jackall pyun pyun lure in 4.5g. This has performed well for Mike SULLIVAN over at Rockfishing Revolution for the period he has been using them and so I will take on the lure for a further period of testing. And finally a new metal in the form of the Jackall Mameta metal lures. This is a cracking little sinking lure which comes with an assist hook attached to the eye. Superb looking metal with a little extra "sting" :)

So there we have it. A few updates to my original post as things are moving on all the time. Interestingly it also moves with your experience and I have found I use metals a lot more than any other lure a t the current time. Plastics still produce the goods. Mytactics have also changed to suit the condition and following the session with my folks the other day Ill post up some simple tactics and how I attach end gear. This is borne from the questions I was aksed at that session which will be the same of most new anglers to LRF.

Till then, Tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment